School Board Meeting Highlights Feb.18

Jazzmyn Peterson, Print Editor

Recognitions:

• The School Board recognized the Bryant High School Cheer team for being named State Champions for the 5A-7A co-ed division
  • The School Board recognized track member junior Jadyn Lewis for winning two individual state titles, and being named the event’s female MVP for the Arkansas Track Coaches Association indoor track state championship on Feb. 6. She was awarded All-Arkansas for her finish times in the two events.

Facilities Update:

• The leader of the electrical project, Kevin Messick, has stated that the project is 90% complete.

Fund Balance:

• Previously, a financial plan was developed for the high school that would help replace the high school gym bleachers, repair the high school track, move the finish line, replace high school band uniforms and provide maintenance improvements at the high school football stadium.
  • A uniform bid was requested to be approved so that the order could be processed for sizing.
  • Approved to accept proposed recommended plan to expend the funds previously set aside for the 2014-2015 carry forward balance to meet district maintenance, and to meet operational needs as well as to accept the band uniform bid from Stanbury Uniforms in the the amount of $105,510.

School Choice Updates:

• Approved to continue to accept siblings of students attending Bryant.
  • More information needed before approval to participate in School Choice next school year.

Personnel Items:

• Steve Griffith set to resign from his position as the Assistant High School Football coach at the end of the 2015-2016 school year
  • Danny Westbrook set to retire from his position as a coach and teacher at the end of the 2015-2016 school year
  • Gayle Winkle set to retire from her position as one of the high school counselors at the end of the 2015-2016 school year
  • Rachel Rasburry now holds the Interim Principal position for the remainder of the 2015-2016 school year
  • Dondre Harris now holds the Interim Assistant Principal position for the remainder of the 2015-2016 school year
  • Robert Hooks is to be a new PE teacher and the High School Assistant Football Coach on July 1, 2016 pending a clean criminal record check and DHS Registry check along with verification of job experience, a presentation of official transcripts, and a valid AR teaching license in the subject being taught
  • Jennifer James is the new biology teacher