Marco Rubio Rally

Bella Castro, Writer

Marco Rubio traveled from Nashville, Tenn. to Little Rock, Ark. on Feb. 22, to promote his presidential campaign for the 2016 election. The Statehouse Convention center was packed with around 2,000 people who were awaiting to hear Rubio’s proposals. “Dare You to Move” by Switchfoot played and people chanted “Marco” as he walked on stage.

Rubio opened his speech with positive comments about the other Republican candidates, excluding Donald Trump, and negative comments about the Democratic party. Rubio also stated that he believes Barack Obama has done a poor job while in office. The crowd cheered as Rubio said he would get rid of ObamaCare and repeal all of Obama’s “unconstitutional orders.”

“[Obama] wanted to change America to make it like the rest of the world,” Rubio said. “He wanted to us to become a country like other countries, but what he didn’t realize is America doesn’t want to be another country, we want to be the United States of America.”

Senior Lauren Carmack attended the rally on Sunday and is hopeful Rubio would be a good president.

“It stood out to me how he appreciates the Veterans, police, firefighters, and wants to take care of them better,” Carmack said.

Rubio expressed his faith throughout his speech. He said he will follow the Ten Commandments while in office, and he will allow Christians to express their faith again without being condemned. Rubio hopes to make a difference by bringing religion into the White House. He stressed how important his relationship is with God and how important it is for our rights to come from God, not the government.

Sophomore Francesca Castro attended the rally and appreciated Rubio sharing his beliefs with the crowd.

“The people need to know what he believes, so they will know if they want to vote for him or not,” Castro said.

Rubio said several times he is opposed to what the Democratic candidates are standing for. He does not like Bernie Sanders’ Socialist views and does not believe socialism is what the U.S. needs to become a better country.

“If you want to live in a Socialist country, move to a Socialist country,” Rubio said. “This is America.”

Rubio mentioned that he wants to go to war against ISIS, but is in favor of peace. He mentioned that Obama has caused the military’s population to be the smallest it has ever been, and Rubio hopes to turn those numbers around. He is confident in his campaign and sees a future for himself in Washington.

“I am a conservative who can win,” Rubio said. “This has to be an election about making a difference.”