Meet Paley, a senior on The Prospective staff. Paley is a member of the Legacy Colorgaurd and a club officer for BHS Art Club. Art is her favorite hobby and she spends most of her free time drawing....

This Ends Now: Social Issue

As an extension of the March 21 paper, the Prospective staff asked students and staff members to describe an issue they thought teens should know more about.

Allies: As a GSA president who sees our fellow Bryant Hornets flow through our campus everyday, it is crucial that our LGBT*+ students have their safety and personal requirements protected. This includes proper use of preferred pronouns (she/her/hers; they/them/theirs; he/him/his), elimination of derogatory slurs (i.e. faggot, tranny, cross dresser), and opportunity to a fair, unbiased education. Sadly, I see many kids weekly who feel like they do not interact in an accepting environment to come out or express themselves the way their peers do, which can lead to clinical depression, anxiety, other mental illnesses and possible suicidal actions. But it is difficult to bring these points up to other students and teachers within the classroom in fear of offending peers who are opposed to gender identification and sexual orientation related issues such as same-sex marriage. However, every student should be granted respect, regardless of personal opinion, and that is no exception to students. The best way to spread kindness and learn more ways to prevent bullying or discrimination in the classroom is to come to GSA meetings, talk to a counselor about what you can do to prevent discrimination from happening, tell a trusted adult that you or someone else feel uncomfortable in a specific classroom setting or stand up for one another, no matter how hard it may be. Allies are a key element to change. – Em Williams junior

Bold: Abbie Hall sophomore Prospective staff writer

Celebrations: Natalie Burgess sophomore Prospective staff writer

Compassion International: Haven Kanai senior Prospective print co-editor

Difference, Make a: Students at this school need to be more aware (cyber)bullying. It may not be happening to you but it is a huge issue in any grade of school. Now that social media has became such a huge thing it is harder for kids that get bullied at school to have time at home to get away from it. Now they have to worry about someone commenting on their Instagram pick saying “Look at this ugly being” or even to the extreme of getting told to kill themselves, that someone may be subtweeting them – or the person actually did ‘@’ them and are being direct. Us students just need to accept everyone for how they are and truly make this school a happy place to be. So if you see it happening, intervene because the problem won’t fix itself, the change will start once WE, the students, do something about it. – Blake Hughes sophomore

Education: Noah Balushi sophomore Prospective staff writer

F

Gender Identities: Josie Hill senior Prospective online co-editor

Harassment: Emma Goad sophomore Prospective staff writer

I

J

K

Lesbian: Jazzmyn Peterson junior Prospective staff writer

M

N

Overrated: Carl Ratliff senior Prospective staff writer

P

Q

R

Sexualized: Adrianna Chandler senior Prospective staff writer

Social Media: Victoria Outlaw senior Prospective print co-editor

T

U

V

W

X

You: Josie Hill senior Prospective online co-editor 

Z