Green Hornets Revive Greenhouse

Amber McFadden, Writer

Horticulture has not played a prominent role at Bryant, but with the help of a new club, Green Hornets, it will bring students together to make the community “green.”

Horticulture is the the science of growing, marketing and using fruits and vegetables. Horticulture helps differentiate between fruits that grow well and those that do not. It helps humans maintain a healthy balanced die while learning about the earth.

Senior Kinley Davenport created Green Hornets in hopes that the abandoned greenhouse on campus will be put to use. She hopes students will join to learn more about the environment and give back to the community.

“It is a bonding horticulture club where we are going to experiment with plants and see the best soil composition that they grow in and really try to give back to the community by growing food in the greenhouse,” Davenport said.

English teacher Shawn Regan, one of the sponsors, is in his sixth year of teaching and does not remember the last time the greenhouse was in use. He was first approached by Davenport about a month ago and was inspired by her drive to start this club.

“She has been pretty driven to get this club started, and that has been fun to watch,” Regan said. “I love seeing students inspired to take action, and Kinley has the drive to see this to the end.”

A struggle that this club is facing is lack of publicity. It was not featured at the club fair, because Davenport did not put plans in motion to start the club until after.

“Right now the club has been announced on social media sites, in the school announcements, written on a few teachers’ white boards, and now through the school newspaper. I hope that current members will actively promote and recruit others that are interested,” Regan said.

While word is spreading about the club, members are finding ways to move forward so it can be successful. Senior Zane Pitman is helping the club toward its first step of cleaning out the greenhouse.

“The main goal right now is to rebuild and use the greenhouse,” Pitman said. “It will be quite a task, but definitely obtainable. Right now, we are still in the process of recruiting enough members to start the renovation. Once we gather more members, I do not think cleaning out the greenhouse will be too hard.”

People from other states that heard about this club are beginning to donate.

“You have to find a way to get funds, and we have people from other states that are already wanting to donate to our club and so right now I’m having to find a way to get money from them into our bank accounts,” Davenport said.

Meetings are usually on Thursdays in Regan’s room, depending on how many members can be there.

A goal of the club members is to popularize horticulture within the community. With the greenhouse out-of-use for so long, students have not been exposed to growing and planting. This could change if more students get involved in this club. Pitman believes that horticulture should be an important part of student education.

“If more students understand not only where food and flowers come from, but how that process works, why it matters, and how humans can affect that process, I think they will be more likely to have a positive impact on the environment in the future,” he said.