• April 23On April 20th, Bryant Honeybees won 1st place for Large Women’s Chorus and Camerata won 2nd place for Large mixed Choir.
  • April 23This Friday, students will have the opportunity to hear the last difference speaker Kevin Reynolds who will detail his executive experiences with careers in civil engineering/steel fabrication. Students can hear him during their advisory in the MPR

Erin Taylor
Erin Taylor
Reporter

Meet Erin. Erin is a junior this year and a reporter for The Prospective. Erin is currently working on her AP art portfolio. She is planning on forming a career in art or design throughout college. After...

Administration works to improve oversized classes

Students make their way to their P.E. classes. | photo kenzie goldman
Students walk to the track to exercise during their physical education class. | photo kenzie goldman

Multiple physical education classes have nearly 100 students who will stay in the class for the remainder of this semester.

According to counselor Donna Elmore, the reason for this number of students in physical education is because of the number of new students, the number of students on campus during second and third block and the transition into the AB scheduling.

Basketball coach Michael Abrahamson, who has up to 89 students at one time, said that the number of students in his class doesn’t have a huge effect on his curriculum.

“At first, there is a little apprehension just managing this many students,” Abrahamson said. “But it’s manageable.”

Supervision is what Abrahamson said he finds most difficult about this situation.

“It takes a long time to take roll, and there is a big difference in supervising 30 versus supervising 90, but I don’t think it’s anything we can’t handle,” Abrahamson said.

He said he doesn’t feel it is anymore of a safety hazard than lunchtime is.

“I am not concerned. You know how many kids are at lunch everyday,” Abrahamson said. “I would say that is a more severe situation than what I am dealing with.”

Football coach Paul Calley agrees with Abrahamson.

“In certain situations it could be, like when you have several groups that don’t get along well, but we haven’t had that problem, and overall I don’t think it is a safety hazard,” Calley said.

Calley has up to 95 students at one time, and said students who didn’t choose to be in the class can be difficult to handle.

“When it’s really hot or really cold, those students are not happy campers,” Calley said.

Both Abrahamson and Calley have their students exercise either by stretching, walking, basketball, dodge ball or other cardiovascular exercises.

Along with Abrahamson and Calley, baseball coach Mark Cain and freshman football coach Kenny Horn also have large physical education classes.

“We’ve got great instructors,” Principal Dr. Jay Pickering said. “Kids are getting after it.”

Arkansas law states that there can be up to 100 students in one physical education class, and Pickering said that there have been no complaints because of it, but that he does not see it happening next year.

He said that he plans to resolve the problem by having more elective classes available during third block.

“Third block is so critical because you have so many teacher who are off with prep,” Pickering said. “We are going to send a survey out to the students, the ninth and tenth graders, because obviously your twelfth graders are going to graduate, your eleventh graders are already set, so we have to electives in place for them, but we are looking to expand.”

Pickering said he wants fulfill the interests of the students through the planned electives.