Kris Reese
Kris Reese
Reporter

Meet Kris. As a senior this year, Kris hopes to explore photography on The Prospective. Outside of newspaper, Kris has a calling to the fine arts. She’s well known in the band as she is a captain...

Getting to know junior Homecoming maids

With a smile on their faces, juniors Sadie Powers, Kori Dement, Baylie McLaren and Tori Koos pose. | photo Madeline ColClasure

Learn about the juniors who were chosen for the Homecoming Court.

Baylie McLaren:
“When I heard the news, I was just returning from the nurse because I had had one of my passing out episodes, so I was still kind of loopy and out of it,” Baylie McLaren said. “Then they said my name over the intercom and I thought I was dreaming. It was weird, but I’m really excited.”

McLaren was nominated by TOT, Teachers Of Tomorrow.

If one morning you woke up and found that during the night you had been magically changed into an adult, what would you do? Pretend you know you will become a kid again in one week.

“Since I would legally be an adult, I would probably travel because I could legally leave the country,” McLaren said.  “I want to travel the world someday; I really love travelling.”

When she’s not shooting pictures for the Prospective, McLaren helps out in Student Senate, TOT and Youth Alive.

“It’s an honor that out of all the juniors, we four girls got picked for this,” McLaren said. “The girls that get picked are representing the school and it’s really sweet of everyone to nominate us.”

While she is excited, McLaren is also somewhat worried for the day.

“I really hope my dad doesn’t step on my dress and trip me,” McLaren said. “I’m worried that I might fall since I’m really clumsy and if anyone would fall, it’d probably be me.”

Sadie Powers:
“I didn’t know I had made it until people were texting me about it telling me congratulations because I didn’t hear the announcement. So I didn’t know what they were congratulating me for until I asked,” Sadie Powers said. “I’m really excited; it’s heartwarming.”

Powers was nominated by the football team.

Describe yourself in five words.
“Independent, Opinionated, Outgoing, Positive and I don’t know another one.”

She is a part of Student Senate and SWARM.

“It’s a fun experience,” Powers said. “I hope that when people voted for me, they voted for me not for my looks, but because I’m nice personality wise. I like to think that at least.”

Kori Dement:
“I actually didn’t know what they were calling names for when the announcement came on. I was homeschooled up until last year, so I didn’t know how big of a deal it was,” Kori Dement said. “Whenever I put my name down, I didn’t know what I was putting my name down for. But seriously, I had no idea.”

Dement was nominated by the Mock Trial Team.

“My friends encouraged me to put my name down,” Dement said. “At the time, I don’t know what this is, but it sounds like fun.”

If you could make a TV show about anything you wanted and knew that millions of people would see it, what would it be about?
“It would be, a group of kids working together in an abandoned town,” Dement said. “They would have to rebuild the town and make it work.”

Dement is part of the Honeybees and the Mock Trial Team. When not in school, she’ll be figure skating or at her church, Oak Park Baptist.

“I have no idea how the heck I made it; nobody knows who I am,” Dement said in the midst of laughter. “Nobody knows who I am. I still don’t understand how I made it, I guess the world will never know.”

Tori Koos:
“When I heard the news, I was really excited,” Tori Koos said. “I’m really excited to be on it again. Hopefully it’s not gonna rain this year because that was one of my big reasons why I wanted to be on it again.”

The football team nominated Koos.

If you worked at Disney World, which character would you be and why?
“A princess for sure, probably Cinderella,” Koos said. “She’s very pretty and seems like she’d give back. In the movies, she’s portrayed as someone who would help others and that’s kind of how I am.”

The two main clubs Koos is in are TOT, Teachers Of Tomorrow and Junior Civitain.

“It’s really fun and a good experience. Everyone should be able to experience it and get a chance to be one it,” Koos said. “It’s nice to walk out in front of people and be recognized. I love it.”