Senior Banks Austin walking to his seat before graduation was to begin. Teachers formed two lines, creating a funnel for the students to walk through. it’ll be fun to see people i know graduate. Banks said prior to the event.
Walking the Stage
May 26, 2023
Officers Samantha Hodgson and Tanner Peck stand side by side for a photo during Lunch B, where they keep watch over students daily.
Keeping BHS Safe
Walking the Stage
May 26, 2023
Keeping BHS Safe

Meet Yisel. Yisel is a junior this year, as well as a reporter for The Prospective. This will be her third year in Journalism, but second year on The Prospective. After high school, she plans to continue...

Annual spring blood drive returns March 12

lauren sanders photo

The annual spring Red Cross blood drive is back. It’s on March 12 from 8:15 to 4 PM in the Multi-Purpose room in Building 10. Students can sign up in the Building 10 office or in Janet Watson’s room, 3-102.

Students who are 16 or younger need parent consent to give blood. Other restrictions are a weight and height restriction, if a student is 5’ 6” he or she needs to weigh at least 110 pounds. Also, if students have recently been sick or have recently been out of the country, they should not give blood.

“Not everyone has as many opportunities as others. Some people need the blood and don’t have it,” senior Brandon Caple said. “Everyone needs a chance and if I can help people by giving blood, I will.”

Two blood drives are held each school year, one in the fall and one in the spring. Fall drive is a competition between Benton and Bryant for students to compete to see who can get the most pints of blood. When students sign up in the spring, they are also signing up for a chance to win a $500 scholarship. All of the students names are entered and one is randomly picked.

“I come from a medical family and I just want to help people,” senior Lauren Smith said.

The club Swarm hosts the event. Club sponsor, Janet Watson, is in charge of both annual blood drives.

When students sign up, they are appointed a time schedule at 15-minute intervals. After the students check-in, they have to answer some health questions.

“At the last blood drive we had approximately 120 pints of blood,” Watson said. “This time, we decided to bump it up to 130, so that is our new goal.”