Meet Elijah. Elijah is a sophomore this year and is excited to experience everything high school has to offer. He is a trumpet player for Bryant High’s award winning band. He’s been to loads...

Meet the mascots

Junior, Ethan Miller runs across the field as Buzz the Mascot at Salt Bowl 2013. | ashley collins photo

School spirit plays a big part at football games and it’s Buzz’s job to keep the crowd cheering. But who is really under the suit?

Sophomore Deven Rieff and junior Ethan Miller have worked all year, pumping up the crowd and getting everyone excited for the games. They’ve had to endure the sweltering heat and attend before school pep rallies.

“I basically just make every kid smile,” Miller said. “A lot of the time, the olderclassman feel awkward about it, but I don’t care. I just go up to them and give them a high five or something.”

The mascot’s job is to pump up the fans and get everyone ready to cheer on the team.

“I like greeting the kids and taking pictures with them,” Rieff said. “And jumping around, acting like an idiot.”

The only bad part about being mascot is the suit.

“It is filthy. It is about 15 years old. The head on it is broken,” Miller said. “They just need a whole new suit so the head is actually supported.”

“It stinks a lot and it’s really sweaty,” Rieff adds.

Rieff plans on trying out again next year, but for now Miller is content with his one year as the mascot.

“It felt really good this year. Being able to get on the field and getting into Salt Bowl for free,” Miller said. “Running out with the boys.”

They take turns going to the games as Buzz. They both tried out at cheerleader tryouts and now they work together to do the duties of Buzz. Fans can tell them apart by looking for the Converse shoes and pink bow on top.

“I’m a girl so I figured they want to know. I found the bow in the box so I kind of thought someone before me must have done it too,” Rieff said.

There’s no practice necessary, but they do have to have confidence in themselves to go out onto the field and wing it.

“But it’s so much fun. I really like being the mascot. Its something I really like to do,” Rieff said.