National Signing Day Football Preview

Photo | Sydney Boswell

Rowdy Baribeau, Writer

Feb. 6 marks the day that all unsigned football players will sign their national letter of intent to play at the next level. This year’s class of 2019 will have a record 11 players signing. The class of 2019 accomplished a lot during their three years as varsity players. For starters, they helped win the first state championship in Bryant football history, had multiple all state and all conference athletes and were recognized as part of the 45th best team in America by MaxPreps. Here is a list of the expected signees:

• LaTavion Scott, RB; uncommitted; considering: Arkansas State University, Ouachita Baptist, University of Arkansas
  • Kajuan Robinson, DT; committed: University of Memphis
  • Nate Wallace, DE; committed: Harding University
  • Andrew Hayes, DB; committed: Ouachita Baptist
  • Jabin Gulley, DB; committed: Southern Arkansas University
  • Josh Robinson, WR; committed: Western Missouri
  • Ren Hefley, QB; committed: University of Michigan
  • Jakob Neel, ILB; committed: Henderson State
  • Blaise Smith, OL; committed: Henderson State
  • Logan Burton, OL; committed: Arkansas Tech University
  • Austin Trimble, OL, committed: Lyon College

With the majority already committed and expecting to sign to their respective schools, be prepared for a surprise commitment from the last uncommitted prospect, LaTavion Scott.

“I don’t know where I’m going yet, but I’ve narrowed it down to a few schools,” Scott said. “It’s a blessing to be in this position. But wherever I go, I’m going to compete; and I love competing.”

As for Kajuan Robinson, he made his decision on Sun. Feb. 3 to commit to the University of Memphis.

“They have a great program,” Robinson said. “They’re big on family, and it just felt like home to me.”

Most athletes that were already committed felt that the school they chose was the best fit for them academically, felt like home and was their biggest offer. However, for Nate Wallace and Andrew Hayes, they chose division II schools over multiple division I schools.

“To me, it’s not just because of D1 or D2,” Wallace said. “It was just about going to a place where I felt comfortable and can not only contribute to the team, but be a leader on that team.”

Wallace went on to state that he felt Harding University will help him become a better man and leader. As for Hayes, he felt like his decision was a gut feeling, and it was the best decision for him.

“It just felt like home away from home to me,” Hayes said. “The coaching staff was real cool and they’re great people.”

The recruiting process can be quite the experience for athletes. Senior quarterback, Ren Hefley, enjoyed the long recruiting process.

“It was kind of fun sitting back and getting calls [from coaches],” Hefley said. “It’s also nice to know where you’re going and have a plan moving forward, and I’m ready to go.”

Hefley made a joke about his experience with the recruiting process.

“Auburn recruited me, but it was back in freshman year,” Hefley said, laughing. “That was back when I thought I was cold; Rhett Lashlee, [their QB coach at the time], followed me on Twitter, and I was like, ‘Let’s go SEC! I’m going to the league!’”

At this point in an athlete’s life, the time to choose the next school for their future can be tough. Defensive back Jabin Gulley believes it has been difficult, but it has all worked out.

“This process is really hard,” Gulley said. “A lot of schools they show interest and then they drop out, and pop back up again. But I think me and my brothers all chose the right schools for our future.”