Pi Day

Pi+Day

Alyssa Jones, Staff Writer

Mu Alpha Theta sponsors “Pi Day,” which celebrates the number pi: 3.14… This year however, the event will be hosted  March 15 due to it being a treat day. This event began two years ago.

“Mrs. Harrison was the main Mu Alpha Theta sponsor [and] decided that they needed a more efficient way to raise money for scholarships for senior members,” math teacher and current Mu Alpha Theta sponsor Kristianna Leonard said. “How ever many pies we sell is just more scholarships that we have.”

Mu Alpha Theta runs on a point system for its members. Each member has to gain a certain amount of points to be eligible for a cord at graduation, and if they want to qualify for the opportunity to receive a scholarship, they must have twenty points.

“The members bring the pies,” Leonard said. “They get three points for pie. If they are running low on points, they’ll just bring in more pies.”

Teachers are cooperative with this event.

“We have always gotten positive feedback.,” Leonard said. “I know that math teachers are very supportive of it. I’ve had teachers in the past who are from different buildings bring an entire class to buy pie. I’ve had some teachers buy pies for their classes.”  

Workers such as senior Ashlyn Privett are eager to make money for the club.

“We’re going to have a table set up, and there are going to be a whole bunch of pies,” Privett said. “You can get a slice of pie for $1 or a whole pie for $8. I think we will sell out of pie pretty quickly.”

Senior Bree Hood anticipates that students will be excited for the opportunity to have food.

“It will probably be extremely chaotic,” Hood said. “It’s a fun day because everybody is involved in it, and everybody gets to benefit out of it.”

Art Taylor Hicks