Legacy Reigns

Legacy+Reigns

Dahlia Bray, Staff Writer

The Legacy marching band received the title of Grand Champion along with top honors, best overall music, visual and general effect in the Lake Hamilton Powerband Classic Invitational Oct. 24.

Band assistant Josh Gardner is proud of how far the Legacy has come since this summer.

“They’ve worked really hard, and it’s just a growing and learning process,” Gardner said. “They are going to get better and competitions are going to get stiffer. There are other band programs working just as hard as we’ve been working, but I feel like they have a drive that hasn’t always been in the program, and I think it’s a new step for them.”

This newfound drive has been a tool to start the Legacy’s competition season off successfully. A big contributor to the band’s success is the Legacy’s drum majors, seniors Sarah Sellers and Kaylee Rawls and juniors Hollan Pfautz and Sydney Calvert.

As drum major, Rawls puts her own needs aside and becomes part of a collective body with separate needs.

“It’s so incredible to be a part of something bigger than yourself,” Rawls said. “I wouldn’t trade it for the world. After all the hard work, hearing The Legacy of Bryant be called [with top honors] is one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever felt. Winning doesn’t determine our success, but it’s definitely awesome.”

While some students are used to the thrill of winning a band competition and marching in front of different schools, it is a new experience for others. Sophomore Katherine Chambless feels a new-found rush from marching.

“We go out there to have fun, but at the same time, it’s our field,” Chambless said. “We put our game faces on and perform the show, and it feels awesome just being out [on the field] knowing that you’re out there doing what you love.”

Color guard captain junior Morgan Massey is not only proud of last weekend’s performance but is excited for future results of the band and color guard.

“[The final performance] was surreal,” Massey said “Everything fell into place, there was a feeling of togetherness, and it was very cohesive. We all watched each other, and we did really well. I’m super excited to see what the rest of the season holds. We have started so well, and I feel really confident about the harder competitions to come.”