“The Nest”

Photo by Nicholas Shea

Alyssa Jones, Staff Writer

Creative writing teacher Caroline Walton has begun working on “The Nest,” a new literary magazine in which students can publish their work and have the option of doing so anonymously.

“The literary magazine was suggested to me, but it was always something that I wanted to do,” Walton said. “This is my first year teaching creative writing. There’s been some literary magazines, from my understanding, in years past, but it’s been a while since we’ve had one. With a school this size, this much talent and writing, it’s just a space that was needed, so I wanted to create it.”

Walton hopes to be able to produce a new magazine for each of her semester classes.

“I would like to see it in some competitions, to see it grow [and] to see it have an online version,” Walton said. “I have some students who are going to be building the website, but mostly, I want to see it spread, have a lot more students submit to it and have it be a space for these students to express themselves and share their stories.”

Junior Dejah Harris is the head editor for the first literary magazine. Harris says that writing has always helped her through her troubles.

“I’m actually really excited to be an editor, because I like leadership positions,” Harris said. “Being an editor helps me feel like I have a purpose in this school. I’m looking forward to all of the submissions, to read other people’s stories and see what their insight is about the world around us.”

Students each have their own definition of writing based on their personal experience.

“Writing’s a form of expression,” creative writing student junior Cloey Koon said. “It lets you let a lot out. Instead of holding everything in, you can express yourself with it. You can do whatever you want with it; it doesn’t have to be sad, happy or about a specific thing. It can be about anything.”

Junior Rhiannon Rough looks forward to the opportunities this literary magazine can provide for her as well as other students.

“I’ve always wanted to do editing for a magazine or a newspaper, and the fact that [I’m editing] fiction is a great thing for me, because I focus mainly on fiction [when I write],” Rough said. “I’m really excited to work with others and improve their writing and my own. It’s really great knowing I have a part in helping others get their work out there.”

“The Nest,” the title of the publication, refers to a hornet’s nest, as well as its connotations as a place of growth and nurturing. Walton hopes it can become larger than just the creative writing classes.

“I really encourage any student who is at all interested,” Walton said. “It is a very cool opportunity to see your work published and to share it. Writing is an isolating thing sometimes, but it’s really great when it can be a community thing.”