SAGA’S Student Showcase

Students+who+participated+in+The+Student+Showcase.+%0A%0APhoto%3A+Maya+Jackson+

Students who participated in The Student Showcase. Photo: Maya Jackson

Abby Hagner, Writer

SAGA, or Sexuality and gender acceptance, held their first student showcase involving students showing off their talents Feb. 11 in the library. Senior Em Williams is a co-president of SAGA.

“The student showcase is an opportunity for the members of SAGA and some of the members in the  library to show their talent, art and things they are passionate about,” Williams said.  

SAGA has been trying to host a student showcase for a while.

“[We could not  do it]until this wave of freshmen had exceptional talent and uniqueness and volunteer[ed] to do things for the club,” Williams said.

Senior Teresa Rodarte is an artist artist who participated in the showcase and uses her experiences and the experiences of other people

for inspirations.

“The people here [have] interesting stories,” Rodarte said, “I don’t normally go to the meeting, but I hang out with people [in the club].”

Freshman Pre-AP English teacher Caroline Walton and freshman art teacher Brianna Peterson are SAGA’s sponsors.

“ [In] the beginning of the school year, they weren’t really sure who was going to lead it, and so the probability of not having this opportunity for a safe place is something we have talked about and is a big task we tackle together,” Peterson said.

They have achieved success this year by having consistent members who attend meetings.

“It’s been a lot of consistency,” Walton said. “With the few students who show up every meeting and that’s what builds up the community.”

Williams entered a poem in the showcase.

“I’m a very expressive person, and recently, I’ve been getting more intuned with letting my stuff be public,” Williams said. “I’ve been doing a piece [of art] a week, and doing that much art in AP Studio, it’s really brought out that side.”