Student Senate Announces New Officers

Monica Martinez, Staff Writer

The school year is coming to a close and current leadership positions across campus are being passed on by graduating seniors. Student senate announced the 2017-18 senior officers on Mon. April 17. Junior Julia Williams was assigned the treasurer position.

“I wanted to apply because this year, student senate gave me so many great opportunities to love my school and the student body,” junior president Lauren Brantley said. “Next year I want to be an example for those in student senate.”

Application requirements included participating in student senate for a year, acquiring 50 student signatures, four teacher signatures, two teacher recommendations and an interview with a panel of teachers.

“I was really nervous about [the] interview, but all the teachers were nice and that made me feel better,” junior vice president Flora Noble said.

Officers stepped into their new positions with next year’s goals in mind.

“I am hoping to implement a new game for the senior class called Senior Shoot Out which is a week long water gun fight between groups of four [separated into] brackets,” junior parliamentarian Taylor Wilson said. “[I am] really excited about trying to [make] this a tradition as I know it will increase school spirit and participation.”

Spirit chair, junior Dawson Oakley hopes to broaden the senate’s impact on students.

“I hope to reach out to even more students in our school and people around our community than last year,” Oakley said. “I think with an even larger student senate size than last year, [we will] really be able to do some cool things.”

There are also annual events that new officers will have the opportunity to take over.

“Homecoming was one of my favorite things last year,” reporter-historian, junior Michael Durgach said. “It will be fun to see what a group of students with my leadership can come up with.”

Students are already aware of some of the challenges they will face next year.

“Next year will be a little different because Mrs. Leaton is having a baby so [she will] be out [at the] beginning of the year,” Brantley said. “The hardest part will be when she [is not] there.”

Despite the challenges and responsibilities that await them, officers are excited to step into the shoes of those before them.

“In student senate we become like a family,” junior secretary Lauren Hart said. “So while [it is] sad to see the seniors go, I am thrilled to meet the new members for next year.”