ASVAB Helps ROTC Students Determine Future

Sarah Graham, Print Editor

ROTC members spent four hours of their school day to take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude (ASVAB) to measure their strengths, weaknesses and potential for future success Oct. 7.

The ASVAB is a timed multi-aptitude test that consists of general mathematics, science and English problems, but also includes questions regarding electronics, assembling objects and mechanics. The ASVAB provides career information whether a student decides to go to college, vocational school or the military. The test is given to over 14,000 schools and Military Entrance Processing stations nationwide, determining the future of tens of thousands of students every year.

Junior Jacob Rhode wishes to make a score high enough that will allow him to become a loadmaster and transfer aerial cargo, his dream job.

“Generally, you want to get around a 50,” Rhode said. “If you get a 50 or higher, you can basically do anything you want in the military.”

Though he is torn between joining the Navy, Air Force or Marines, the ASVAB will help senior Jayce Carter decide his duty in the branch he chooses.

“The test tells you what you’re good at,” Carter said. “All I know is I want to change the way people look at America and protect those in it.”

Senior Jordan Griffin does not plan on joining the military, but still took the ASVAB to find his strengths outside of the military.

“I wouldn’t mind being a mechanic or a an electrician,” Griffin said. “I want to work with hands-on things.”

Although Griffin does not wish to join the military, he still finds interest and reward in ROTC.

“When I put that uniform on, it boosts my confidence so much,” Griffin said. “There’s just something about that military uniform that just makes me [feel] like I can do anything.”