Junkins National Honor Semifinalist

Abby Hagner, Staff Writer

The National Merit Scholarship program is an academic competition for recognition and scholarships. Senior John Mark Junkins is the only National Merit Semifinalist in Saline county.

“It’s such a great honor and blessing to be a semifinalist,” Junkins said. “I’m really grateful for support from my teachers and [for] getting the recognition.”

Each state has a standard based on total scores in that state, which must be passed in order to be designated a finalist. In Arkansas, that score is 213.

“I made a 218, which qualified me a semifinalist, which I was really excited about,” Junkins said.

Taking the PSAT is not a requirement, but is recommended for juniors and sophomores.

“Prior to the exam [my junior year], I got to take it my sophomore year, which was really nice because it helped me see what the test looks like,” Junkins said.

Students only have one chance when taking the PSAT, unlike the SAT and ACT.

“Do some basic studying on English and Math; the same skills you would see on the ACT and SAT are going to be on the test, Junkins said. “Put in effort to do well. That’s the first step being in the National Merit Competition.”

Junkins is applying at Vanderbilt University for next fall after he graduates in May.

“It’s kinda crazy, but [I’m] shooting for the stars,” Junkins said.

The PSAT has approximately 1.5 million applicants each year, and about 50,000 with the highest score will qualify for recognition for the National Merit Scholarship Program. AP Lang teacher Tara Seale knew once she saw his score that he would get into The National Merit program.

“I’m very excited for him,” Seale said. “I believe he is going to pick Vanderbilt first, I have him 5th period as an aide, so he’s using that time to prepare.”

To be a semifinalist is considered an honor not only for the participant, but their community as well.

“It’s such a great honor to be a semifinalist, and it makes me want to keep going in competitions to be a finalist even more, because it’s not just for me, it’s for our whole community,” Junkins said.