“El Jabón de ‘Sexy Man’”

Foreign language classes participate in plays

December 12, 2019

Spanish 2 students in Chandra Willix’s class participated in a group project Dec. 9-13 to put on a small play from a story called “El Jabón .” 

The play was put on to strengthen students’ Spanish skills by forcing them to speak completely in Spanish while having fun by dressing up. 

The story is about a soap that makes a man smell good and in turn makes all the women like him. Throughout the school year, students read short stories and then have the choice to act them out. Willix provides clothing and accessories, such as hats, belts and props.

“The props and characters are ridiculous, and acting out these silly scenarios together is so much fun,” senior Paige Fuhrman said. “One of the best parts is the super-cringe uncomfortable scene when the new ‘sexy man’ puts on the soap and goes to the club to try and get these girls, and we play that one song from ‘Madagascar 2’ with ‘Moto Moto.'”

All students participate, whether they are acting, narrating or directing. Willix has students perform “El Jabón” every year, and Fuhrman enjoys the assignment.

“El Jabón is quite possibly the best class project to ever exist,” Fuhrman said. “It applies our learning of the language to actually speaking and saying it out loud, but in a really funny way.”