Cautionary Caps

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cautionary Caps

Dahlia Bray, Online Editor

600 students all in blue sit uniformly waiting on the moment they get to take their diplomas and finally call themselves graduates. Among the blue, there are glimpses of color and glitter, as some students personalized their graduation caps.

In early October, administration declared that there would be no cap decorations at the next graduation. However, after a large outcry from students and parents, administratio changed their stance and will allow cap decorations after implementing strict rules.

Senior sponsor and English teacher Gina Halbert fought for the privilege of decorating graduation caps.

“This year, [seniors] will have to get their cap approved, and I will have to record it on a spreadsheet,” Halbert said. “If a student is not on the spreadsheet, they will have to remove the decorations or wear an old cap. The description in the spreadsheet should match, and every student will be checked before they can walk.”

Senior class President Michael Fuhrman is overjoyed that administration worked out a plan.

“I am thrilled that we get the opportunity to decorate caps again,” Fuhrman said. “I just hope students listen to the regulations and follow the rules, that way future graduates get the privilege as well.”

Connor Matthews
Design | Connor Matthews

Senior Casey Davis was one of the main students advocating for the ban to be lifted.

“Ever since freshman year, I have had an idea for my cap,” Davis said. “It’s something I have always looked forward to. I play vibraphone in band, and I wanted my cap to have mallets on it, and my cap was going to be a tribute to my four years in band. If we would’ve stayed quiet, [administration] would have thought we didn’t care.”

Senior Shamari Burnett had a pivotal role in the decision on whether to lift the ban or not. Burnett wrote a kind and thoughtful letter to the administration expressing her frustration about the situation.  

“I’m not really involved at school, but it’s [my] senior year, and I believe we deserve a little freedom after four years,” Burnett said. “Asking us all to be one uniform body constricts our creativity. Allowing [seniors] to decorate caps displays the originality of Bryant High School students.”