Trends in the early 2000’s

IMG_1502Despite the name, the Nintendo Game Boy was the second most popular game system for both boys and girls, selling over 118 million units worldwide. “I got my first Game Boy when I was six,” sophomore Jake Partain said. “I thought it was the coolest gadget to ever exist. Man, I miss those things.”

Jackson_M20160414_85

Though first sold online in 2008, it was not until 2010 that the shape-shifting bracelets, Silly Bandz, took the American market by storm. “I probably got hit by those Silly Bandz about 1000 times in 6th grade,” junior Jahnvi Kodali said. “[Then] we weren’t allowed them to wear them at school.”

Jackson_M20160426_93e

Before being replaced by yoga pants, Gauchos were a must-have for girls of all ages. “I had a brown pair and black pair,” sophomore Alise West said. “They were very comfortable and free.”

With only a little water and ten seconds to spare, children could pretend their glitter decals were real tattoos, only to be removed during the dreaded bathtime. “They made me so happy as a kid,” sophomore Sam Poe said. “[I] covered my arms in Spiderman, maybe some Superman. [They] made me feel tough.”

Listening to the latest Britney Spears song was no longer a hassle once the first iPod was released in 2001, holding not only up to 240 songs, but a place in the heart. “I like using my iPod when I go running,” sophomore Gracen Goudy said. “It clips to my shorts.”

Jackson_M20160426_92e

With a price tag just under $100, the compact kick scooter remains an icon of American culture. From city slickers to celebrities, adults to children of all ages, this was a way of transportation for all. “I remember riding them around the cul-de-sac when I was little,” sophomore Nick Herrington said. “They were so difficult, I’d always hurt myself.”

The low, soft felt fedora could be found on every street, school hallway and Red Carpet event in the 2000s. “I felt empty without wearing them,” sophomore Alexis Burch said. “I’m still hoping they’ll make a comeback one of these days.”

Though they may look like normal tennis shoes, Heelys have an embedded wheel in each shoe, making it easier to ride, rather than walk, down the hallways since 2000. “I always thought Heelys were ugly and never understood why they were so popular,” junior Anna Wolff said. “Now, I kinda wish we had them, just because I’m too lazy to actually walk.”

Jackson_M20160426_94e

Once the first Nintendo DS came out in America in 2004 for $150, kids of all ages wanted to get their hands on one. With games such as Super Mario Bros. and Nintendogs, no child ever wanted to let go. “I loved Nintendo DS growing up because it’s good for road trips or airplanes,” junior Gavin Patterson said. “It would give you something to do for several hours.”

Following the beauty trends of Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler, girls decorated their hair with a variety of feather extensions in 2011. “I had one at one point, it was a little blue striped feather,” sophomore Hannah Fort said. “I loved it.”

Prospective Online • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in