• April 17The first period Social Studies classes gathered in Hornet Arena this morning to give teacher Ricky Manes the Teacher of the Year Award. Manes is a U.S History, AP Research, Civics and Holocaust & Human Behavior teacher. He was chosen out of the 13 and was given the award by administration.
  • April 15In celebration of Military Child Month, Bryant School District asks that everyone wear purple on Wednesday, April 17th to celebrate and showcase respect for military families.

Meet Jacob. Jacob is a junior this year and this is his first year on staff for The Prospective. He has a passion for photography. Outside of school, Jacob loves getting to know people.

Worship on the front steps

juniors Houston Clifton, Max Sullivan and Dylan Wolf lead morning worship service
juniors Houston Clifton, Max Sullivan and Dylan Wolf lead morning worship service |Emma Barnes

Juniors Max Sullivan, Dylan Wolf and Houston Clifton brought their faith right to the school’s front steps, where they led a weekly morning worship service.

“We meet on Thursday mornings at 7:30 outside the library in Building 10 before school. We get together and do some worship songs and sometimes maybe give a devotional or take some time to just pray,” Clifton said.

These three also play for the Park Place Baptist Church youth group in their youth praise band “City Light.”

“I think it’s just incredible that we are even able to do this so publicly. School is hectic, and sometimes people need a reminder that school is one of the biggest mission fields that they’ll ever encounter,” Wolf said.

Clifton and Wolf sing harmony, Clifton accompanies them with an acoustic guitar, and Sullivan glues it all together with the cajon (box drum).

“I had the idea for this after our youth pastor challenged us to do more in school. I talked to Houston and Max, and we got started,” Wolf said. “We know we are making a difference, we see it just by the people who come out. They always tell us how much they appreciate what we do.”

They are there every Thursday throughout the year, playing worship songs like “How He Loves,” “Jesus Paid it All,” “I Saw the Light” and “God is Able.”

“When Dylan came to me with the idea back in the summer, I immediately jumped at the opportunity,” Sullivan said. “I felt like it was God personally giving me a big chance to be a stronger witness of him. Not only do I feel like I’m helping strengthen others faith through music, it also helps me stay on track in my faith.”

Thanks to support from their teachers, peers and their youth pastor, the three of them said they have managed to use their music to affect people’s lives in a profound way.

“Normally we would play outside of the library, but thankfully Mrs. White and Mrs. Halbert let us use their rooms during the cold months. They were both super good to us; making sure we didn’t freeze to death,” Clifton said.

The three have lead the worship in Youth Alive on multiple occasions and participated in the talent show.

“Students have really appreciated what we do here, and we’ve become pretty well known for it,” said Sullivan. “I love setting an example for our peers. It’s a blessing to even have the freedom to do something like this. I definitely want to continue next year, and hopefully we can encourage underclassmen to carry on after we’ve left.”