• March 26Senior Week starts next week, all seniors who have signed up will be spending advisory, and on Wednesday their lunch periods, in the arena to play games so their teams win
  • March 26Spanish Honor Society is hosting a Spring Dance Competition on Friday, March 29 during Advisory and 1st Lunch. Contestants will be asked to pay a $5 entry fee, and prizes will be awarded to competition winners! If you’d like to compete, click here. // LINK: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v6Dz0MT1NWCMUw7RVFslA1QMGNAFyKBoU-HAHG5Ff4Q/edit
  • March 26On March 26th at 5PM the Bryant High School Baseball team will be playing a home game against Central on our Home field

Meet Gabrielle. Gabrielle is a senior this year, and is a reporter on staff who has been participating in school newspaper for going on 5 years now. Gabrielle is currently an intern at the Benton...

Students establish skateboarding club

freeeeeee fallin
Landon Whisnant performs a fakie 360 flip | Paige Staggs photo

While skateboarding and its professionals have become world-famous, skateboarders themselves are often thought of as punks, the bad kids.

Junior Landon Whisnant, co-founder of the Skateboarding Club, says this stereotype is wrong.

“I used to be part of a group that was basically a skate team who did community service projects around the city for people. We cleaned up the park, we planted trees…that doesn’t sound bad to me.”

To join the Skateboarding Club, students must return a liability waiver to club sponsor James Paul. Students may then skate with the club at Victory Fellowship Church every Friday afternoon at 3:30 p.m.

Since skateboarding isn’t allowed on school grounds, Victory Fellowship Church has agreed to let the club use its property. Members plan to build rails and boxes to skate on; however, if students aren’t quite ready for that yet, the club gives lessons.

“Landon said he would help teach people how to skate. He’s the one who taught me how to trick skate. He’s an inspiration to us all,” junior Jacob Stephen said.

HOOLIGAN THANGZ
Co-founder of skateboarding club Landon Whisnant plans to give lessons to less experienced skateboarders | Paige Staggs photo

Whisnant says the club will help dispel the stigma surrounding the sport by giving students a positive emotional outlet. Skateboarding provides students a way to free their minds from the stress of everyday life. Its lack of rules also allows for an amount of creativity and independence not found in any other sport.

“I thought skateboarding was cool, so I tried it. After a couple weeks of pushing around and falling down, I actually learned something. After I entered my first contest, I realized that I want to do this for the rest of my life. I’m driven to skate every day just because of the feeling it gives me,” Whisnant said.

Whisnant says skateboarding is about personal growth and having fun with friends, and with the Skateboarding Club, he hopes to promote a good image of the sport within the community.