• April 17The first period Social Studies classes gathered in Hornet Arena this morning to give teacher Ricky Manes the Teacher of the Year Award. Manes is a U.S History, AP Research, Civics and Holocaust & Human Behavior teacher. He was chosen out of the 13 and was given the award by administration.
  • April 15In celebration of Military Child Month, Bryant School District asks that everyone wear purple on Wednesday, April 17th to celebrate and showcase respect for military families.

Meet Kenzie. Kenzie is a senior this year and is a reporter for The Prospective. Outside of newspaper, Kenzie is captain of the Legacy of Bryant's Colorguard. She is an active volunteer in her community...

Retro review: Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VII

by Evan Goodrich.

Fifteen years ago, Squaresoft (now Square Enix) released the Final Fantasy game that revolutionized the Final Fantasy series. Final Fantasy VII was more than simply a new entry in the seemingly endless series. It catapulted the series into a new generation of gaming – 3D graphics.

Final Fantasy VII became the first game in the series to utilize 3D graphics, featuring fully rendered characters on prerendered backrounds, as well as the first game in the series on a Sony platform – the Playstation. The game went on to be a critical and commercial success for the company and truly put the series on the gaming map. The game also was the first in the series to depart from its more medieval roots. The game existed in a highly modern/sci-fi world, in stark contrast to the past games in the series.

The game’s commercial success is without question, but its critical reception has varied amongst fans and reviewers.

The story of Final Fantasy VII follows Cloud Strife, who joins the rebel organization AVALANCHE to stop the mega-corporation Shinra, which drains the planet of its life for use as an energy source. Much of the plot and themes are environmentally friendly in nature, though other themes are explored in the story, such as the meaning of existence, faith and the immortality of the soul, which is shown through the reincarnation-esque views on the afterlife in the game.

The story is surprisingly deep and insightful, and has managed to capture players with its storytelling. It is also considered by many one of the only videogames to make gamers cry. However, it also has its flaws, notably a great deal of angst and whining and its fair share of cheesy melodrama, typical of Japanese RPGs.

By today’s standards, the graphics are hilarious, with exaggerated proportions and anime anatomy. However, the graphics were revolutionary for its time.

Final Fantasy VII’s gameplay harkens back to the past games in the series, using the Active Time Battle (ATB) system; however, the battle party shrunk from the usual four down to only three fighters. Character growth is based mostly around the use of “materia,” an energy source created from the planet’s lifeforce. These magical orbs are used to augment characters’ weapons and armor, as well as give them the ability to use magic, summons and special abilities. Additionally, characters are able to use “Limit Breaks,” a form of ultimate attacks.

Though it has been more than a decade since its release, the game still has a magic about it and still manages to capture gamers, despite its dated graphics and (at times) cheesy story. If you’re a fan of RPGs or video games in general, Final Fantasy VII is one to salvage from the past and play.