2022 Arkansas Voting

Bryant students give their take on the 2022 election and its importance.

Kenzie McCullar

Election Day is on Nov. 8, with early voting having begun Oct. 24

Catherine Spicer, Writer

Election 2022 Summary

On Nov. 8, midterm elections will take place both on the local and national level. The Arkansas midterm election includes four issues: legalization of marijuana for recreational use; a constitutional amendment that will allow the legislative body to call their own extraordinary session with two-thirds of the legislative body’s signatures on a petition; a constitutional amendment regarding religious freedom;and a constitutional amendment to require a 60% voter majority for statewide issues to into effect instead of 50%, also known as the “Constitutional Amendment and Ballot Initiative Reform Amendment”. They will be voted on and if approved will become state law. Along with the issues, voters will be voting for political officials.

Some of the elections in Arkansas include the national House of Representatives and Senate races. Senator John Boozman and Congressman French Hill are both up for re-election this year.

Along with other national elections, this year’s election determines the new Arkansas state governor. Current Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson has served two terms, which is the limit set by the Arkansas State Constitution, so he can’t be re-elected. The three candidates running for governor are Republican Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Democrat Chris Jones and Libertarian Ricky Dale Harrington Jr..

According to her campaign, Sanders, if elected, plans on implementing an education program called Arkansas LEARNS. It is intended to give kids a quality education and empower parents. Sanders also plans to support the police by increasing prison capacity and implementing “Truth in Sentencing” legislation for court cases and potential violators of the law.

Chris Jones’ campaign promises to expand broadband internet, create high wage jobs and provide preschool access for children across the state. He also wants to provide competitive salaries for teachers, improve police training, defend women’s reproductive rights and improve veteran healthcare access.

According to his campaign, Ricky Dale Harrington Jr. wants to end the death penalty, legalize marijuana and require body cameras for police officers. Harrington also intends to let parents choose the education path for their kids, allow for bodily autonomy for everyone, phase out the sales tax and stop giving incentives to corporations.

Along with voting for governor, people in Bryant are also voting for a new mayor this year. Current Bryant mayor Allen Scott is running for re-election against Rhonda Sanders.

Student Voices

Several students turning 18 years old before Election Day have registered and plan to vote in this election, such as senior Jenna Nall.

Nall says the issues important to her are ones dealing with voters’ voices.

“I haven’t done enough research yet but I do know that the first two have to do with voters’ voices and silencing them, which I am very much against,” Nall said.

Along with Nall, senior Madison Bae also plans on voting in the election. She believes that people should be educated on issues one and two.

“I’m still contemplating my options on most of the issues. However I do find it important to be educated, especially on the first two issues,” Bae said.

Because the way people vote on these issues can affect them and their community, Nall and Bae believe that it is important for people to vote and voice their opinions.

“I think it’s important for everybody to have a voice in not only on a national level but also on the local level,” Nall said. “Especially since it’s so hard to get younger people and minorities to vote, we need their voices the most because they’re the ones who struggle the most in this country. So I think it’s important to register to vote to bring out those voices.”

Along with Nall, Bae also believes that it is important for people to take advantage of voting.

“Knowing that the policies that are being made now could affect us,” Bae said. “I feel like if we can get our own voices heard at times, I feel like that’s an opportunity we should take advantage of.”