Class Candidates

Class+Candidates

Dahlia Bray, Online Editor

With t-shirts flying and crowds roaring, Edward Love Auditorium mimicked Hornet Stadium as the juniors held their annual officer elections. This year’s group of 20 was the largest group of candidates Bryant has seen in the last four years. Winners were decided based on speeches given by each candidate, and officers were announced Feb. 5.

Class of 2019 president Ren Hefley is honored to fill such a huge role.

“When I heard I won, I felt very relieved and excited for senior year,” Hefley said. “Senior week is what I am looking forward to most. That’s the main reason I ran.”

DJ and now vice-president Raquel Thompson knows just the right mix of party and politics.

“When I won, I was so shocked,” Thompson said. “I thought I was the last person to win something that big. I am super excited about the whole idea of planning something awesome for senior year. I am in charge of these life long memories and I am so honored.”

Newspaper staff member and writer Emily Hall won secretary.

“I was surprised I won,” Hall said. “I was so happy. I practiced my speech at least 20 times before the day came, and I called my mom and aunt immediately to give them the news. I am looking forward to ushering at graduation and seeing all my senior friends and current officers graduate.”

Treasurer and active student section member Chandler White was shocked at his win.

“[The election] was one of the most nerve-wracking things, even though I knew most of the people in the crowd,” White said. “When I heard I won I was exhilarated. I am so honored to be class treasurer, and even more honored to have the opportunity to serve my class next year.”

Reporter Historian Emily Skiavo conquered her fear of public speaking and secured her spot as an officer.

“I could not believe it when Mrs. Hare told me she signed me up to run,” Skiavo said. “I was so nervous when election day came.  Winning left me speechless.It was the biggest adrenaline rush I have ever experienced. Working with the other officers is what I’m looking forward to most. Every activity for senior year will be perfect because of our dedication to the class and team work.”