• April 15In celebration of Military Child Month, Bryant School District asks that everyone wear purple on Wednesday, April 17th to celebrate and showcase respect for military families.
  • April 12On April 12, 2024, Dr. Edward’s was rewarded a coin of excellence by Major General Stubbs at the 10:00 assembly.
  • April 12On April 11, 2024, Saline County had a tow hall meeting talking about various things that affect our students.

Meet Jacob. Jacob is a junior this year and this is his first year on staff for The Prospective. He has a passion for photography. Outside of school, Jacob loves getting to know people.

Balance of Power

Balance+of+Power+

Mass shooting: An incident involving three or more victims of gun violence.

According to the Washington Post, by the first 274 days of 2015, 294 mass shootings occurred in America. That’s at least 882 deaths caused by bullets and guns in less than 10 months within our country’s borders.  On Oct.1, nine people were massacred in an Oregon college shooting. This was the turning point in my apathy.

Gun control: Laws that control how guns are sold and used and who can own them.

Arkansas gun laws do not require a person to register shotguns, rifles or handguns.

These laws do not require a permit to buy or own a firearm as long as said person is 18 years of age. Children can even purchase firearms if they acquire consent of a parent or legal guardian. It scares me that children my age have the ability to obtain deadly weapons. The fact that many boys in my grade feel entitled to them scares me even more.

Second Amendment: “A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

This amendment does not justify humans turning on other humans. The government’s job is to protect the citizens, and while there can be corruption in power that wants to exert force over citizens, there is also corruption in citizens who want to exert power over each other.

As the government is pressured to ensure the rights and freedoms of the state, the state does not feel pressure from the government to be responsible with our right to arms. While “we the people” do deserve to defend ourselves, if we are not doing it responsibly, then who is the real danger?

Ignorance: Lack of knowledge, education, or awareness.

Living in the South my whole life, I have always been around gun-toting men and women, and I have never been scared in public places. But with the magnitude of gun violence rising in America, I feel uncomfortable in parking lots, grocery stores and occasionally, at school.

I refuse to be ignorant of the risk I am taking every time I step out  my front door. To me, this is not paranoia, considering I could easily be number 883. My peers spout off opinions in fear of their precious hunting rifles being taken away, but there are more important things than an entertaining hobby.

The balance of government control and citizen freedom is easily disturbed, but ignoring major issues does not make them go away. When human lives are at risk, the consequenses are too detrimental to be ignored.

View Comments (2)