• April 15In celebration of Military Child Month, Bryant School District asks that everyone wear purple on Wednesday, April 17th to celebrate and showcase respect for military families.
  • April 12On April 12, 2024, Dr. Edward’s was rewarded a coin of excellence by Major General Stubbs at the 10:00 assembly.
  • April 12On April 11, 2024, Saline County had a tow hall meeting talking about various things that affect our students.

Meet David. David is a reporter for The Prospective Newspaper. He’s both a state and national award-winning journalist. He’s been on and worked for several publications for the Bryant School District,...

Review: Interstellar

MV5BMjIxNTU4MzY4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzM4ODI3MjE@._V1_SX214_AL_Christopher Nolan, director of movies such as “Memento” and “Inception”, creates yet another intellectual epic, “Interstellar”.

“Interstellar” lands us in a small rural farming community, the population distracting themselves with baseball and corn. Lots of corn, as it is the only crop left on the dying earth. The viewer might feel as if this segment of the movie is drawn out, but it is necessary for an emotional base that is brought up time and time again.

Cooper, a former NASA engineer and test pilot, rockets through the cosmos on a journey to find a habitable world. Earth is dying, the nitrogen content is rising and those left will either starve or suffocate. The movie uses physics and philosophy as its fuel. It doesn’t give frilly explanations or transparent ideas. The viewer must be engaged with the movie to get just a small glance of its meaning.

However, beyond the far-out-there concepts, Nolan makes up for the heavy thinking with a resplendent display of the universe. The aesthetics used are beautiful and create an atmosphere that the viewer wants to stay in. This makes up for the too-long plot. If it weren’t for the visuals, the movie would be terrible, a bore for the viewer.

Nolan teamed up with physicist Kip Thorne to obey the laws of physics. Together, they create a reality of gravity-influenced time. Time is the center of the entire movie. At one point Cooper, along with two others, land on a planet with shallow waters. Cooper motivates the team to hurry because of a time shift that ages his children faster than him, adding the possibility that he might become younger than them. At intervals, there are colossal waves so slow and so immense that one would be baffled at the fact that this is in actual accordance with physics. It wastes time, and in our reality, is possible.

The film does go beyond the physical into the realm of the hypothetical. It guides the viewer into a black hole. This is the peak of the movie both in thought and in visual aesthetic, it is ambitious but Nolan makes it work. Here, time manifests itself into a dimensional substance directly observable by Cooper.

If a moviegoer is interested in a lengthy, drawn and thought out epic, “Interstellar” is fulfilling. The movie stays with the viewer hours after seen. It warps the consciousness of the viewer in a shudder through beauty and the interplay of multiple psychological, philosophical and physical aspects. “Interstellar” is an experience any serious viewer must see, if they can get past the lengthy intro and the few, sometimes-stale transitions.