• April 17The first period Social Studies classes gathered in Hornet Arena this morning to give teacher Ricky Manes the Teacher of the Year Award. Manes is a U.S History, AP Research, Civics and Holocaust & Human Behavior teacher. He was chosen out of the 13 and was given the award by administration.
  • April 15In celebration of Military Child Month, Bryant School District asks that everyone wear purple on Wednesday, April 17th to celebrate and showcase respect for military families.

Meet Yisel. Yisel is a junior this year, as well as a reporter for The Prospective. This will be her third year in Journalism, but second year on The Prospective. After high school, she plans to continue...

Endless Love

Monica Perry poses as the audience cheers at their performance
Monica Perry poses as the audience cheers at their award winning routine|Photo by Caitlyn Tucker

She tried running away from it, but it wouldn’t let her. They had their ups and their downs, but they will always be together.

“Dance is something that I’ve always done,” senior varsity dancer Monica Perry said. “I’ve been doing it ever since I was little and I’ve always enjoyed it.”

Perry began dancing at the early age of 5 when her mother enrolled her into a dance studio. At the time, she cared less about studio style dancing and decided to quit, only to go back to it once she began middle school. But even after going back to dancing during middle school, Perry decided to quit again her junior year of high school.

“I left off an impulse,” Perry said. “I got mad once, left and then regretted it the next day. After I did it, I was like ‘why did I do that? I miss it.’ It was such a dumb decision, but I’m so glad I’m back now.”

Throughout her dancing career, Perry has considered herself more of a hip-hop dancer compared to other dances such as jazz or pom-pom, even though hip-hop presents some challenges for her.

“I would have to say that hip-hop is my strongest,” Perry said. “I’m really good at the big motions. It (hip-hop) is also my weakest though because it’s difficult for me to hit my tricks. It’s a love-hate relationship with hip-hop.”

Despite her flaws, Perry’s leadership role on the team does not waiver. This is what she considers one of the greatest contributions she makes to the team.

“We (senior dancers) make sure that every one is doing what they are supposed to do,” Perry said. “We also make sure they are staying focused. We just get everyone prepared to win a state championship and possibly a national championship.”

Success doesn’t come just by sitting around doing nothing for Perry or the team. Hard work is what she believes is the foundation of their success.

‘The best part of dance is knowing that we are successful,” Perry said. “We win every year and are greatly known because we work hard for what we want to and do accomplish. And if I think I’m working hard, then I need to work even harder.”

Throughout the fame and popularity that has been achieved by Perry’s success over the years, she dedicates her accomplishments as an individual dancer to her mom who has stood by her side since day one.

“My mom is the one who put me back in dance when I did quit,” Perry said. “She knew that I liked it, and she is always willing to help me out to get through all of the hard times. She doesn’t force me into doing it, she just wants to make sure I’m happy.”