• April 17The first period Social Studies classes gathered in Hornet Arena this morning to give teacher Ricky Manes the Teacher of the Year Award. Manes is a U.S History, AP Research, Civics and Holocaust & Human Behavior teacher. He was chosen out of the 13 and was given the award by administration.
  • April 15In celebration of Military Child Month, Bryant School District asks that everyone wear purple on Wednesday, April 17th to celebrate and showcase respect for military families.

Meet Kinley. Kinley is a sophomore this year, as well as a reporter for The Prospective. She’s an aspiring member of FCCLA and Beta Club and wants to be involved in the school community. This is her...

Being brave & winning hearts

Booths and bubbles line the side of the field house as athletes and their escorts mingle among the throng of volunteers and other athletes. From ring toss to fishing, each of the booths reward every athlete that gives the activity a shot. Vampires, tigers and colorful faces walk away from the face-painting table with a smile.

Junior Dylan Wolf embraces an athlete during the Special Olympics. Wolf was one of the several high school volunteers that day. | photo Anna Rives

Senior Jessica Farley participated in this year’s Special Olympics for her seventh year, competing in the long jump and 400-meter walk. She said she enjoyed the long jump the most.

“I got first place, and everyone was like, ‘Oh, she couldn’t get that place,’” Farley said.

For her 38 year, special education teacher Toni Naugle said she felt this year’s Special Olympics went well.

“I was very impressed with the volunteers that helped with the kids, making sure they were at their events on time,” Naugle said. “We had more volunteers than we needed, but that’s not always a bad thing.”

Athletes and escorts listened to the events being called through the speakers, while eating cotton candy and snow cones; some athletes eager for their heat to be called. Farley said she didn’t enjoy waiting for a long time for her events.

During the time between events, athletes were able to learn about the importance of applying sunscreen, brushing their teeth, eating healthy and washing their hands through Healthy Athletes, held in the field house.

Healthy Athletes consists of five Healthy Athlete Disciplines: Special Smiles, Opening Eyes, Healthy Hearing, Health Promotion and FUNfitness. Through each program, athletes are able to get free medical attention, such as free dental screenings, prescription eyewear, hearing screenings and physical therapy screenings. Naugle said she knows of students that have been given free glasses and hearing aids because of Healthy Athletes.

At the track, the stands were filled with classmates, friends and parents of the athletes. A gun fired, and a group of runners sprinted down the track, some wearing a broad smile; others had a look of determination. Gold, silver and bronze medals were awarded to the first three athletes to cross the finish line by JROTC and the Bryant Police Department. Many athletes stood and smiled with the confidence of a professional athlete when the medal was hung around their neck. Others smiled sheepishly or gave the spectators a serious face, though pride often shone through their eyes. Each athlete seemed to strive to achieve the motto of the Special Olympics, “Let me win, but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.”

Athletes can participate in different Special Olympics around the state, in events such as bowling, flag football, ice speed skating, basketball, aquatics and many more.

“I enjoyed watching the students participate, watching them at the finish line, watching them work so hard,” Naugle said. “It was their day to shine. The smile on their faces still wins my heart.”

Watch a video of the Special Olympics: http://youtu.be/_GIaQXSAVuI