• March 26Senior Week starts next week, all seniors who have signed up will be spending advisory, and on Wednesday their lunch periods, in the arena to play games so their teams win
  • March 26Spanish Honor Society is hosting a Spring Dance Competition on Friday, March 29 during Advisory and 1st Lunch. Contestants will be asked to pay a $5 entry fee, and prizes will be awarded to competition winners! If you’d like to compete, click here. // LINK: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v6Dz0MT1NWCMUw7RVFslA1QMGNAFyKBoU-HAHG5Ff4Q/edit
  • March 26On March 26th at 5PM the Bryant High School Baseball team will be playing a home game against Central on our Home field

Meet Joules. As a senior, this is Joules’ first year on The Prospective staff. Alongside newspaper, she is a part of Bryant High’s Bella Voce choir, Quiz Bowl and French National Honor Society....

Best & worst of the year

header_292x1362Video games:

Best:

1. The Stanley Parable-

“The Stanley Parable” is a remake/reimagining of the original “Half-Life” mod, and while it is hard to think of this game as a “game” in the conventional sense, the feeling one gets while playing through a session of “The Stanley Parable” is… indescribable. The less said about this game the better, as one should experience it for themselves. Though it can be said that this is one of the greatest games of the year and must be experienced to be believed.

2.Bioshock Infinite-

Though it varied greatly from preceding games in the “Bioshock” series, “Bioshock Infinite” excelled in every field; beautiful setting, heart-pounding music, engrossing story and characters and too much to convey in mere words. It is worth any amount of money on any console; worthy of the title game of the year.

3.The Wolf Among Us-

Another fantastic entry in Telltale games collection of point-and-click games, “The Wolf Among Us” is a film noir mystery set in a modern day Manhattan. The game is also based upon the “Fables” comics and follows the fables known to all. With Telltale Games games it’s hard to go wrong, so episode one,“Faith,” is worthy of high praise, and the same can be expected from the following episodes.

4. The Last of Us-

Quality is always expected from Naughty Dog, and this year was no exception. “The Last of Us” was one of those beast of a games that excelled in every field, with a high honors in characters and game feel. The Zombie apocalypse setting may be over done in modern media, but with scarce supplies and an emphasis on stealth, it adds a new terrifying layer of depth to the tired concept.

5. Super Mario 3D World-

Though one would argue this, “Super Mario 3D World” was a large step in a positive direction for the “Mario” series, stepping greatly away from the formula of most all-modern games in the series. It is a challenging game, and is made even more so when other players join in, while also being a fun game to simultaneously bond and throw controllers over.

Worst:

1. Day One: Garry’s Incident-

What’s worse than a bad game, with bad controls, and bad graphics, and bad sound and bad everything? A game developer who takes down reviews of their atrocious game from YouTube, all for speaking the truth of how horrendous their game is. That game is “Day One: Garry’s Incident,” and it is not worth even this footnote.

2. Beyond Two Souls

Ohhh Quantic Dreams; they always have such promising concepts for games, but every time they fail to deliver. What’s worse is each game seems to be getting worse as the company persists. As for “Beyond Two Souls,” it suffers from a lack of player control, lack of challenge and a lack of an interesting story as it is told “Memento” style, all out of order to seem artistic. This game is just too boring and offensive to anyone who calls themselves a gamer.

3.Fighter Within-

This is a bit of an obvious pick as it’s a sports launch title for the Kinect. My only real gripe: how come after so many years of motion controls being tempered and worked on we can’t even get a proper working fighting game? “Fighter Within” sucks in every way, and that’s all there is to say.

4.Sim City-

In truth, “Sim City” wasn’t too bad. It may have been a bit restrictive in its building and didn’t really allow redoing projects once they are done, but it was alright as a “Sim City” game. Except for one teeny tiny problem, just one problem; two words, four syllables, 12 letters: always online.

5. Sonic Lost Worlds-

For a while it seemed as if “Sonic the Hedgehog” was on his way back to the forefront of the gaming industry with awesome titles like “Sonic Generations” and “Sonic Colors,” both great games in their own respects. “Sonic Lost Worlds” systematically undoes that in about three seconds. To summarize, the levels are too Mario, the controls too wobbly and the speed too slow. That’s right, Sonic the Hedgehog, the fastest thing alive, is too slow for his own game.

Movies:

Best:

1.Gravity
Not only can this film tout phenomenal acting from Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, the heart-pounding and breathtaking at the same time, a terrifying combo to be sure. There isn’t much to be said other than watch it, and watch it as soon as possible.

2. 12-Years a Slave

For as fantastic as “12-Years a Slave” is, it is also equal parts depressing, for obvious reasons. Much can’t be said that hasn’t already been shown in previews and trailers, as everything is laid bare from the beginning. Though, rather than this hurting the film, it sets up this air of interest in mystery; “How does he end up getting out of this situation?” Well that’s why you have to see the movie.

3. Saving Mister Banks-

For a bio-pic about both Walt Disney and the author of Marry Poppins, P. L. Travers, disregarding some of the inaccuracies, “Saving Mr. Banks” holds its own as an engaging film about the trials and tribulations of appeasing an author while simultaneously weaving in her history. Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson give stunning performances, and bring a great amount of character to their characters. A sort of somber treat, but a treat nonetheless.

4. Frozen-

Surprisingly, “Frozen” was enjoyable. It wasn’t fantastic, but visually it was beautiful to look and musically not too shabby, even if there were one too many songs. The best part, for me at least, was the stress of sisterly love rather than conventional true love between two people whom only just meet.

5.The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug-

Another entry into “The Hobbit” saga, continuing on from the end of the last movie. Aside from continuing the epic journey, new characters join the fray, such as veteran to the series Legolas and an original to the movie character. Not much can be said other than it’s an epic continuation of an epic series.

Worst:

1.Man of Steel-

How does one make a character that is perfect in every way interesting? Short answer is you can’t, and that is why “Man of Steel” failed. It tried too hard to make a character who’s perfect seem flawed while still being perfect and the end result is tons of bland and flat characters whose only purpose is to build up the how much of a messiah the protagonist is. “Man of Steel” is just a boring soul crushing experience.

2.The Host-

This movie is literally painful to watch. Whatever plot there may be is practically shot and buried beneath layer after layer of god-awful acting and emotionless dialogue. There isn’t much to say about “The Host” other than steer clear of it.

3.The Smurfs 2

It’s a sequel to the first horrendous semi- live action film. Is an explanation even in order?

4.City of Bones

This teen supernatural romance (which is a scarily popular genre) is probably one of the worst in that genre, and this is the genre that houses both “Twilight” and “The Host.” The over all plot is a mess and the “love” between the love interests has absolutely no build, coming off as silly rather than romantic.

5. A Madea Christmas

Another Tyler Perry Madea film. Enough said.