• April 17The first period Social Studies classes gathered in Hornet Arena this morning to give teacher Ricky Manes the Teacher of the Year Award. Manes is a U.S History, AP Research, Civics and Holocaust & Human Behavior teacher. He was chosen out of the 13 and was given the award by administration.
  • April 15In celebration of Military Child Month, Bryant School District asks that everyone wear purple on Wednesday, April 17th to celebrate and showcase respect for military families.

Meet Hayden. Hayden is a junior, and this is his first year on The Prospective. Beyond newsapaper, Hayden is the secretary for the Hornet Fashion Club. Hayden loves everything to do with clothes...

To Club Or Not To Club?

Students from the AV Tech and Film Club edit videos for their club project. | photo tony garibay

With 28 different clubs offered, it comes down to the choice that all student have to face at the beginning of the school year, whether to join a club or not and if they do, which one.

Depending on what students prefer, they can join multiple clubs as long as the club’s time doesn’t overlap. The clubs available: The Ambassador Club, Arts/Crafts Club, Drama Team, Ecology Club, Engineering Club, FBLA, FCCLA, FCA, Greenhouse, Hornet Readers, Jr. Civitan, Jr. ROTC, MAD, Music, NHS, Quiz Bowl, Poetry Club, Sr. Class, SWARM, Theatrics, TOT, Youth Alive, GSA, Book Club, Movie Club, ASL Club, You Are Not Alone Club and the AV Tech and Film Club.

“It’s a good idea for students to join clubs,” sophomore Caelyn Neal, who is in FBLA and TOT, said. “It will look good on college applications.”

In a random survey, 17 out of 50 students joined a club.

With the increasing number of clubs it, becomes harder for students to choose which clubs they want to join.

Students should pick clubs that are activities that they are interested in. If a student likes to read and discover new books, they should join the Book Club. Or if they are interested in a future in business, they could join the FBLA club.

“I joined FBLA and Teachers Of Tomorrow,” Neal said. “I need to be more exposed to business and teaching careers because that’s something I might do in the future.”

Clubs like Youth Alive and SWARM are the largest clubs, but their attendance is not up to par with the amount of students signed up.

But even with the abundance of clubs, not all students join clubs.

“I don’t have enough time for clubs with all of the extra volunteer and church work I do,” sophomore Stephen Davis said.

Most of the time it’s because students don’t have enough time for extra hobbies with all of their schoolwork and social lives. Students are in local sports and that added to their homework takes up all of their time. But there also is the factor that the clubs here are not appealing to students.

“Students just don’t have the time for clubs with their church activities, their social lives and their jobs,” Davis said. “Then to others, the clubs we have are just boring.”

It all just depends on the student and what their situation is. Students can be extremely school spirited; they like to go to all of the sporting events and school events. Other students do not have enough time to deal with extra activities from the school with all of their homework and social life.

“It doesn’t’ matter if you are or aren’t in clubs,” Davis said. “But if you are, you can become more involved with school.”