The student news site of Bryant High School in Bryant, Arkansas

Senior Night Sadness

Kara Mauer

Kara Mauer

Nathan Bush, Staff Writer

For one final time, the boys basketball team played in front of their home crowd in a battle against the North Little Rock Charging Wildcats. While the game would end in a 61-70 loss, the memories that the players had in this gym are still alive.

Senior guard Calvin Allen could not believe his time was up. He was speechless before the game, but could not help but thank all of the people that brought him to this point.

“It’s bitter-sweet, but I have to thank the fans, my teammates, my parents, Coach A, Coach Posey, Coach Lincoln, everyone, for making [me] the man I am today,” Allen said.

This night was special to the team. Senior night is a night of reflection and celebration, and senior guard Romen Martin was very excited to show his talents one final time in Building One.

“It was fun,” Martin said. “I’m gonna miss coming out here and showing off what I can do.”

Senior forward Marvin Moody embraced the moment by reminiscing of the times when he first began playing under Coach Mike Abrahamson. Moody first encountered Abrahamson as a freshman, and how Abrahamson helped him become a man.

“At the beginning, my relationship with Coach A was kind of rough,” Moody said. “We didn’t get along that well, but over time, I realized he was right. I found out that if I would just stick to his plan, my life would be better. He taught me how to become a man more than any other coach.”

Part of the magic of senior night is realizing that the road is almost over. Martin felt he had to thank Coach Abrahamson and tell him how much he really meant to him.

“I’m grateful for all he has done for me,” Martin said, “I love him just like he loves me.”