Naked Chicken Chalupa Review

Andrew James

Alyssa Jones and Jack Selig, Staff Writer

Taco Bell released their latest creation, the Naked Chicken Chalupa, Jan. 26. It is the first known taco shell to be made of 340 calories worth of all-white chicken. It is sold for $2.99.

I carefully unwrap the Naked Chicken Chalupa, anticipating what was to come. As the wrapping comes off, I examine the taco, looking at its breaded chicken shell. I pick off the tomatoes and make sure the rest of the taco looks safe.

The taco consists of lettuce and a thin layer of ranch underneath, all wrapped by a fried chicken shell. I look at Jack.

“On the count of three, 1-2-3,” I said.

We each take a bite out of the mysterious taco. The anticipation was over as the flavor fills my taste buds. It tastes like a crispy chicken tender that is slightly dipped in ranch. The lettuce gives it an extra crunch. To my surprise, it was not half bad.

Overall, I would rate the Naked Chicken Chalupa a 7/10. It was flavorful enough, and for those who enjoy the taste of chicken tenders with ranch, it is the perfect meal. I would definitely purchase it again.

Students who tried the unorthodox taco had varied feelings.

“When I ate the taco, it did not taste as good as I thought it would,” sophomore Matt O’ Gary said. “I didn’t want the other things like the tomato and lettuce, so I ordered it plain. I just got a chicken patty.”

Senior Connor Qualls had a similar reaction to the latest release from Taco Bell.

“The chicken wasn’t bad,” Qualls said. “It was weird having the meat on the outside and the lettuce and tomato on the inside.”

Sophomore Allie Dugan had a positive experience with the new taco.

“It was really good and I would totally buy it again,” Dugan said. “The chicken on the outside was a very different experience, but a good one.”