Sports Buzz: April 29-May 6

Photo%7CKara+Maurer

Photo|Kara Maurer

Brad Brewer, Staff Writer

Baseball:

The Diamond Hornets were able to clinch the 7A/6A-Central Conference championship on Tuesday night with a 7-1 win against the Van Buren Pointers. Senior Evan Lee only allowed one run on five hits in six innings, while striking out 11 batters. Bryant received some additional help to the top seed of the State tournament from Little Rock Catholic after the Rockets defeated Conway, putting the Diamond Hornets one win away from the top seed.

Softball:

The Lady Hornets came into the week seeking to secure the top seed for the Class 7A State Tournament in their contest against Van Buren on Tuesday. The Pointerettes had other plans however, denying the Lady Hornets with a 9-1 victory, taking advantage of eight errors made by Bryant. The team was able to recover quickly from the loss last night with a 5-0 victory over Lake Hamilton in an error-less performance.

Boys Soccer:

Playing for their own destiny, the Hornet soccer team edged out Van Buren in a 2-1 victory Tuesday night after a late penalty kick by Junior Hayden Ray gave Bryant the late lead. The win secured a spot in the Class 7A State Tournament and moved the team up to a 13-6 overall record.

Girls Soccer:

The Lady Hornets continued their dominant season with an equally as dominant 8-0 victory over Van Buren on Tuesday night, lead by Sophomore Madison Humbard’s four goal performance. The team improves to an 18-0-1 record on the season and will close out the regular season with a home contest against Mount St. Mary’s tonight.

Track and Field:

Lead by Senior Danny Murillo’s two top-four individual placings, the Hornets finished eighth out of 15 teams at the Class 7A State Championship meet. The Lady Hornets finished fifth in their contest, lead by Senior Haley Hood and her individual State championship victory in the 300-meters hurdles event.