Sports Buzz: April 22-29

Photo%7CKara+Maurer

Photo|Kara Maurer

Brad Brewer, Staff Writer

Baseball:

The Diamond Hornets played a pivotal 7A/6A conference contest against Little Rock Catholic last Friday, and were stuck in a deadlock tie going into extra innings before finally breaking the tie and winning the game 4-3 in the ninth inning. Bryant continued their week of play on Saturday evening in a non-conference game against Little Rock Christian Academy, and had no problems en route to a 7-2 victory. Two days later, the team travelled to Siloam Springs for a 7A/6A double-header and took both games easily in 12-1 and 8-3 victories. The latter victory netted head coach Kirk Bock his 600th career victory. In their final game of the week, Bryant set out to attempt to even the score against the Wampus Cats, the only Arkansas team to beat the Diamond Hornets all season. Senior Zach Jackson pitched a complete game, striking out nine and only allowing one run. fter a clutch RBI from Junior Seth Tucker in the bottom of the sixth, Jackson was able to close out the final inning to win 2-1. The Diamond Hornets are now 25-2 on the season overall and are 3-1 against 7A opponents.

Softball:

Last Friday, the Lady Hornets travelled to Sherwood to play Mount St. Mary Academy and never had a problem in the game on the way to a dominant 17-0 victory. The team then had to play two double-headers, one against the Russellville Lady Cyclones, which ended in a sweep for the Lady Hornets, handily winning both contests 8-0 in the first game and 15-9 in the second. The latter doubleheader featured contests against Conway and a rematch against Mount St. Mary, where Bryant won both matches easily, defeating Conway 9-2 and Mount St. Mary 17-2.

Boys Soccer:

The Hornets travelled to Little Rock last Friday to take on Little Rock Catholic, and attempted to rally from a 4-1 deficit, but fell short in the end, losing 4-3. Bryant managed to recover from the close loss with a dominant 4-1 victory over Pulaski Academy on Monday before losing again against Conway 2-0 yesterday. The Hornets are currently 12-6 overall, and need to win one of their next two games to clinch a spot in the 7A State Tournament.

Girls Soccer:

The Lady Hornets continued their dominant season this week, starting with another shutout 3-0 victory against Cabot on Monday. The team followed up that win by taking down Pulaski Academy 5-0 the next day. Bryant’s home contest against Conway yesterday was a tougher battle, as neither team could get on the scoreboard in regulation, forcing a shootout. Sophomore Brittany Warner only allowed one goal during the shootout while the Lady Hornets managed to pick up three to stay undefeated on the season.

Track and Field:

The Lady Hornets finished second overall at the 7A-East/Central Conference meet yesterday, lead by Senior Haley Hood who won two individual titles and racking up 32.5 points for the team. The boys team finished third in their conference meet, and acquired 15 spots for the 7A State meet which will take place on Thursday.