Diversity in Administration

Amber McFadden, Staff Writer

Dondre Harris was hired as Assistant Principal when Rachel Rasburry stepped up as the interim principal. Harris is the first African American administrator at Bryant High School. Harris has served as a coach and teacher and will now be covering Rasburry’s section of students.

How did you feel when you found out that you were selected as Assistant Principal?

“I was nervously anxious, if that makes any sense. I had been praying for guidance and direction, and this seemed like the perfect direction at this time.”

What all positions have you held at Bryant and outside of Bryant?

“I have served as a teacher in the subjects of Health, Physical Education, and Directive Studies. I have also been a Dean of Students. I have coached Baseball, Basketball, Football, Track and Wrestling. Since I have been at Bryant, I have served as P.E. Teacher, Directive Studies, Football and Wrestling Coach and now High School Assistant Principal.”

Do you think Bryant is moving forward in administrative diversity?

“Yes, I do believe so.”

Are there any specific changes you want to bring to the school now that you’re Assistant Principal?

“I think we have a good school here at Bryant High School. Great staff, great administrators and great students. I’m not sure if there are any changes that need to be made as of yet, there may be some things that I will notice once I have been in the position longer.”

Do you plan to continue moving up, or are there other positions you hope to fill at Bryant or outside of Bryant?

“I’m the type of person that likes to take it one day at a time, and attempts to be prepared for opportunities when they present themselves.  I don’t desire to leave Bryant at this time. However, whatever God has planned for me, I will simply follow his lead.”