Students’ Take on Black History Month

Photo – Maya Jackson

Bella Castro, Writer

Black History Month is the annual celebration of African American achievements throughout U.S. history. Black History Month is observed the whole month of February and it is also celebrated in Canada and the United Kingdom. There are parades, ceremonies and other events to bring awareness to the African American achievements.

Like any topic regarding race, there are positive and negative responses when students are asked to explain what Black History Month means to them.

“Black History Month means a lot to me being biracial (black and white),” junior Jadyn Lewis said. “It is a pride month.”

Lewis is passionate about the holiday, and she hopes it brings awareness to recent controversies concerning African Americans.

“With the police brutality issues, I feel like Black History month gives a month to not just learn about history of amazing African Americans leaders, but to address the race issues that are still prevalent today,” Lewis said.

One student who preferred to remain anonymous has a different view about Black History Month.

“We do not talk about the history behind this month,” the student said. “If we are going to continue to have this month, then let’s talk about the history in our schools and across the nation.”

Senior Justice Pryor gave his opinion about Black History Month. He said he is not trying to aggravate anyone, but he wants to state his beliefs like everyone else.

“I think if [African Americans] need their own month to feel special, then so be it,” Pryor said. It doesn’t bother me,but we don’t have our own White History Month.”

In a recent Twitter poll asking the question “Is Black History Month important to you?” 40% of people answered “yes,” 20% of people answered “no,” and 40% of people answered “I don’t care.” The poll was out of 50 votes.  

Foreign exchange student senior Letizia Arrigoni came from Italy, where they do not celebrate Black History Month, but since moving to the U.S. she has learned a lot about the history behind the month. She sees Black History Month as a positive celebration, and appreciates the U.S. for using the month of February to recognize the achievements of African Americans.

“It is important to be aware of the struggles that African Americans overcame throughout history,” Arrigoni said.