Growing to Give

Blair Rolston, Writer

One small decision is all it takes to have a lasting effect on another person’s life. Sophomore Gabriel Binns reached out to others by donating his hair.

“A girl in my second period class donated about 22 inches, and that gave me the idea,” Binns said. “I already had long hair and I thought, ‘Why not do something with it?’”

Hair is something everyone has access to, it is easy to give and does not cost much.

“I’m going to donate to Locks of Love,” Binns said. “My friend suggested it to me and [then] my dad suggested to maybe give it to an organization that helps kids specifically.”

Binns saw the need to help cancer patients because of  a close call with the illness in his family.

“I had a cancer scare in my family a year or two ago,” Binns said. “It wasn’t cancer thankfully, [but] that opened my eyes to the idea.”

When donating, it is all about giving what’s available. Whether it is becoming a sponsor for an Adopt-a-Child, or freely giving old winter clothes. Even if never done anything to benefit others, there’s always a time to begin.

“This is really the first thing I’ve done like this, but I would most definitely do more [charitable things] like this in the future,” Binns said.

When students make a difference by doing something unusual or out of the ordinary, people take notice. Binns hopes his peers will see what he’s doing and feel compelled to help others.

“I hope people see me and get the inspiration to do the same,” Binns said.